Monday, January 29, 2018

Twinners Weekend Fun... and their Birthday

Once a year we plan a weekend get away with Tim's twin and his gf/fiance'/almost wife. We decided last year that we are going to start doing them during their birthday weekend, meaning we moved it from August/September to January. This year we stayed to Devils Kitchen Cabins in the Carbondale, Illinois area. Tim and I had stayed there before so we knew what was in the area. We got down there Friday evening about 8p where we enjoyed a soak in the "hot pool" and many games until well into the morning. Tim and Matt were literally the last ones awake. 

Saturday we were up and out of the cabin by 11a. The plan was to follow the Southern Illinois Brewery Trail. There are three loops to the trail so we were doing the green loop. We started with the brewery furthest away and made out way back... out first stop was The Hop Brewery
They had only been open since October and the place has so much potential. They have a huge game/beer garden that will be fun during the summer/spring months and their staff is very polite and knowledgeable. After that we headed to Route 51, this place was amazing! 
The facility could hold hundreds, there were a few hotel rooms attached and the decor was super cute. Seriously, my favorite part were the homemade electrocuted table tops. 
I mean, how cool are these tables?

After 51 we headed to Big Muddy where we got excited about the Peanut Butter Cup Beer, which was good, but the rest of the place we not all that impressive. 
Where there is a beer named after a historic site 10 minutes from 
your home you drink a pint... When you find out it is the last
of the only 10 gallons made you praise that pint because
you don't know when or if it will ever be made again.

Once we left there we headed to Mollys. It was decorated like an old irish pub. I decided at that point that I couldn't fit another craft beer in my gut without bread or crackers so I opted for their non-alcoholic homemade root beer. The guys were using the "its out birthday" excuse to get out of going to the last place... which at the time Lacey and I were not happy about but in the end probably a good choice. Once back at the cabin the guys grilled steaks while Lacey and I baked the potatoes and put together a ceasar salad. We soaked in the "hot pool" for a bit, sang happy birthday (for the 10th time that day), ate some homemade chocolate cheesecake and played more games. The guys pooped out early so Lacey and I headed to bed too. 




Sunday we were up, packed and headed home by 9:30a. We stopped at Hourboughs in Carbondale for breakfast before actually heading home to our little guys. Once home and unloaded we went to Tim's parents to grab the boys.... only to find Oliver cranky and Evan running a low grade fever. We spend the rest of the day napping and cuddling the boys before having to get Carter from his dads.... where we got the news that Carter doesn't want to play baseball. I can't force him to play but I really feel he is going to regret this decision. 


No comments: