Thursday, August 29, 2013

Freezer Meals (Part 2)

It has almost been a little over three weeks since we did out first set of freezer meals and we are in love. We had 5 meals left over from the 13 we made and never ate out during the week once, nor did we have crap food like frozen pizza or burritos.  Actually, we haven’t even gone out to eat for lunch during the week either, every dish we have made has had one or two days of leftovers for Tim and I to take for lunch. We are in love with these meals because….. Tim gets home at 5:00p, puts a casserole in the oven or finishes off the side dish for our crock-pot meal (which is canned veggies or something super easy). I get home at 6:00p and dinner is completed and the table is set. We are eating by 6:10p and cleaning up dishes by 6:30p, leaving us about a hour and a half with the boys before they have to go to bed.


This process is really easy. Start off by researching recipes that can be frozen either in a baking dish or freezer bag. I have been sticking with recipes that have 3-5 ingredients, this helps cut down prep time.  I have picked anywhere between 15-20 recipes.  Then I narrow down my recipes by common recipes so I can buy in bulk, normally narrowing it down to 12-15 meals.  For instance this week we did a few pork meals so we researched prices at various places and ended up finding the pork chop for under $2 a pound. Keeping ingredients common within recipes also saves on the pocket book.   You also want to try to find meals that can use up some of the stuff that you already have. Once you have your recipes picked out then you go to your pantry and mark off the items you do not have to purchase and compile your list from there.

Our first time around I spent about $175 for the 13 meals that we made which comes out to be about $4.48 per person per dinner (this is for one serving per dish). This time around we spent $112 for 12 meals (Aldi’s shopping woot-woot) which brings us to $3.11 per person per dinner (again one serving per dish).
This time around we did more crock-pot meals then casseroles, mainly because there is less prep. It still took us about 4 hours from the time we started until the last dish was washed (we don’t have a dishwasher).

Here are the meals we made this week:
Chili Chicken Wings (wings were substituted for tenders)

If you have make bulk meals and froze them please share some of your recipes with me. If you have a question on how I converted some of the prepare and serve meals to prepare and freeze, please ask, I will be happy to answer. 

3 comments:

Nikki @ WishUponAShootingStar said...

Wow! This is awesome! I am a picky eater, and my hubby and Hailey are even worse then I! But some of these recipes look great!

I really started budgeting and watching my money. When I really started adding things up, I couldn't believe how much I was spending on coffee out, breakfast, lunches, and dining out. Like $500! Which was crazy because I was still buying groceries.

Now I bring my breakfast every day, snacks, my lunch and I make sure to make a healthy dinner. It seems like I am still spending the same at the grocery store, but have been able to keep so much more in my bank account.

I would rather go to the craft store with $25 instead of spend it on a days worth of food from dining out! At least then I will have something to show for it!

Erin Shell ~ Living A Love Song said...

I love that you are posting these! The hubs and I are going to make a couple rounds of freezer meals in November to get ready for our couple months after the baby is born and when my work is really busy. This will be super helpful!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I make and freeze all the time. I often freeze mexican stuffed shells, enchiladas, coup, chili, and a variety of crockpot meals.

It makes life so much easier.