I haven't really been in the kitchen lately, well until last night. The Wurstmart is coming up for the Holy Cross Lutheran Church this Sunday and we are to make homemade pies so I found 3 different recipes, one for Caramel Apple Pie, one for Coconut Custard Pie and one for German Chocolate Pie. Now my plan was to make one of each but then I decided it would be so much easier to make three of the same one so now all I had to do was decide which one I was going to make. I decided to let Tim decide.... he chose German Chocolate, that boy eats chocolate like it is going out of style. So German Chocolate Pie it is. I made the mistake and didn't read the recipe first so as I started on the filling and was ready for the next step I didn't realize I needed to bake my crust first... this says to me this is a pie that needs to stay cool, CRAP! They are limited on cooler space and prefer to have pies that can stay room temp. By this time I have no choice to make this pie because I had already purchased 4 pies worth of ingredients and started the pies. I haven't actually tried a whole piece of pie but last night as I was cleaning up the mess I tried what filling and topping that was left on the spoon and it tasted AMAZING. I can't wait to try the actual pie. Here is the recipe...
GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE
What you need:
pie crust (baked)
For Filling: For Topping:
1/3 c. Sugar 1 Egg
3 tbsp. Cornstarch 1 (5 oz.) can Evaporated Milk
1 1/2 c. Milk 1/2 c. Sugar
1 (4oz.) bar German Sweet Chocolate (broken-up) 1/4 c. Butter
1 tbsp. Butter 1 1/2 c. Coconut Flakes
2 Egg Yolks (beaten) 1/2 c. Chopped Pecans
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
To Prepare:
* Bake the pie crust as it says on the box, or make your own.
* For the filling, in a medium saucepan over high heat, add the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the milk, chocolate, and butter. Stir constantly until think and bubbly. Reduce the heat and stir for another 2 minutes or until smooth.
* In a separate bowl beat your two egg yolks until broken up. Add about a cup of the chocolate mixture to the egg yolk bowl and mix. Return the mixture to the rest of the chocolate in the saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in vanilla. Stir for another 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth.
* Add filling to the pre-baked pie crust and let cool.
* For the topping, in another saucepan over medium heat, add the egg, evaporated milk, sugar, and butter. Stir until ingredients are combined and thick. Stir in pecans and coconut. Stir for a minute or two until all ingredients are combined.
* Spread the topping evenly over the chocolate filling. Cool the pie and chill thoroughly.
This is the end result... looks yummy right?
__________________________________________________________________________________
I actually enjoyed making this pie, and I really think that after it is set up in the fridge it will be fine to sit out for the Wurstmart goers to choose from. I say that because, as I put the pie filling in the crust and let it sit for about 5-6 minutes while I finished the topping it was already set up, and it was H-O-T in my house from all the baking going on. Tim and I were in competition. He was baking Onion Soup Bread, in my bread maker, and he didn't think I was going to finish my pies before he finished his 4 loaves of bread. I have to add that he was 2 1/2 loaves up on me before I even start on my first pie. Needless to say I had all 4 of my pies finished and in the fridge, plus the mess was cleaned up before he even started his 4th loaf. Those 4 loaves of Onion Soup Bread will be sold in the Country Store with the other baked goods.
Now to plug the Wurstmart, it is this Sunday, October 23, 2011 for 12:00p-5:00p. The menu consists of Pork Sausage, Mashed Potatoes and Milk Gravy, Sauerkraut, Corn, Green Beans, Cranberry Sauce, Homemade Pies, Coffee, Lemon-aid and Milk. There is a country store you can purchase crafts, apple butter, and baked goods. If you are interested in stopping by you can click for DIRECTIONS. For any other information on the Wurstmart visit HOLY CROSS LUTHERAN CHURCH.
Have a great weekend and I hope to see you at the Wurstmart.






2 comments:
We have THE BEST sausage around :)
Angie are you working Sunday? If so what time?
Post a Comment