Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tuesday Treats (White Chili)

My mom taught me how to make this amazing white chili. When I say it is amazing I mean AMAZING! I have family and friends that are always saying "I could go for a bowl of your (mom's) white chili". Since the weather had cooled off I have had about 5 or 6 requests for white chili therefore I thought I would make it this past weekend. I am going to share the recepie with you BUT you have to understand when cooking my mom and I DO NOT measure anything, we save being presise for baking.

My (mom's) White Chili
What you will need:
Boneless/skinless chicken breast (family pack)
Great Northern Beans (3 jars)
Green Chilis (2 med or small cans)
Large Onion (chopped)
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Salt 
Pepper (either white or black)
1 can chicken broth
1-2 tablespoon's of olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic (smashed)
Monterey Jack cheese (1 block cubed)
Sour Cream (optional)

Preparing the chili:

Boil the chicken in a pot of water. Once the chicken is cooked through shred and put is a large pot (one you intend to cook your chili in). DO NOT DISCARD THE WATER (STOCK) YOU COOKED THE 
CHICKEN IN YOU MAY USE IT LATER.

Put the olive oil in a skillet and start heating it on medium. Once you have the onion chopped place those in the skillet and cook until translucent. Add the chilies, cayenne pepper, garlic and cumin. Cook until oil is gone and add to the pot of chicken.

Open the beans and place in the pot with the chicken mixture. Add the can of chicken broth (for a runnier chili use the chicken stock (water) you cooked the chicken in. Once you have the consistency you want add
the cubed monterey jack cheese and cook until it melts. Salt and pepper to taste. 

I like to cook the chili over medium heat for about a half hour or so and then taste it, I prefer a more cumin and pepper taste. Once the cheese is melted it is ready to serve.

When serving place the chili in bowls and serve with a dollop of  sour cream on top. You can use the small oyster crackers or saltine crackers as well. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I prefer to serve my white chili with sweet corn bread. I started making it with my Ham and Beans and though it would pair well with the white chili and now that is about the only way I serve it. So, here is my sweet corn bread recipe as well.

Sweet Corn Bread
What you will need:
1 1/4 c. Sugar
1/4 c. Honey
2 Eggs
1 c. Water
1 c. Milk
2 c. Cornmeal (I use the yellow)
2 c. Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 c. Butter (room temp)

To Prepare: 
Grease 9x13 pan with shortening. Preheat the oven to 375. Mix the sugar, butter, eggs, milk, honey and water in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. While stirring add the dry ingredients to the sugar, egg, and milk mixture. You won't get all the lumps out, the batter will be slightly lumpy. Pour into greased pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is a golden brown.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can eat the corn bread on the side but we found that it tastes great when you put it at the bottom of your bowl and let it soak up the white chili, it actually takes the place of crackers.

Enjoy everyone!!!




2 comments:

Karen said...

Christie- This sounds so yummy! I am seriously going to try these recipes! Thanks so much for sharing:)

Christi said...

Karen I hope you enjoy it. It is something different. If you like spicy or Mexican food I think you will enjoy this. And it is yummy.