Monday, September 30, 2019

Cajun Gumbo

This past weekend we attended a Cajun Fest at a friends house. They had a Shrimp Boil, the host also made jambalaya and a cajun pasta, there was plenty of white rice and cornbread to pair with the dishes. There was also plenty there for those that weren't cajun fans, such as chili, sloppy joes and other sides.

The host, knowing mine and Tim's love for cajun food, had asked me to make my Gumbo and I was happy to do so. I have since had many requests for the recipe and figured this was the best way to share. Through the years I have found what I love in my gumbo and other things I don't (like bay leaves).

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1KqLidjjESLKZcuOXjpmoBx80e03sDeIn

New Orleans Gumbo

1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Flour
2 large Yellow Onions, chopped
5 Celery Stalks, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Clove Garlic, minced
8 oz Tomato Sauce
1 lb Fresh Tomato, chopped
2 cups + 1 cup Chicken Broth*
1/4 cup water
1 tsp Cracked Peppercorn
1 tsp Ground Mustard
1 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 1/2 tbsp Slap Yo' Momma Cajun Seasoning**
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
24 oz frozen Okra
1 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
3 lbs of raw peeled shrimp***
28 oz Andouille Sausage or Polska Kielbasa, sliced
1 Rotisserie Chicken shredded
Cooked White Rice

 In a large stock pot brown the flour and oil, stirring until it makes a light brown roux. Add the vegetables and saute' until they are soft. 

Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, chicken broth, water, Okra and seasonings. Simmer on medium about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. During the simmering process if the roux appears to be thickening add the extra cup of chicken broth. 

Add the chicken and sausage and simmer for another 20 minutes. 

If you are serving right away then add the shrimp and simmer another 15 minutes. However, if you are making this a head and are transporting in a crockpot to the location then transfer the Gumbo to your crockpot, put on warm and add the shrimp to sit and simmer for at least 4-6 hours. 

Serve over a bed of white rice. 

Serves about 10 - 12 people.

* You can use chicken, vegetable or seafood broth. I sometimes make use my homemade boths. 
** I use the mild because we have children that can't handle the heat but before Tim and I had little ones we used the Hot Slap Yo' Momma's. I do find that we can spice it up a little with the Cheyenne Pepper if you want it spicier.
*** there are times I use fresh and other times I use frozen



1 comment:

kate said...

Explore top attractions around the world for less with a Tiqets discount code! Whether you’re planning to visit museums, theme parks, historic sites, or cultural events, Tiqets makes it easy to book tickets online. With a discount code, you can save on entry fees and enjoy incredible experiences at a lower cost. Don’t miss out—grab your discount and start your adventure today!